From the beginning of creation, God valued the family unit, as He made man “in His own image.” Throughout the Old Testament, we see how fathers led generations of believers and how unity, brotherhood, and shared responsibilities were passed down through families. There are plenty of Bible verses about family that emphasize its importance.
Children were viewed as a blessing, and the Scriptures have entire chapters dedicated to genealogies and family history. Although the New Testament does not focus as much on family, we still see how Jesus cherished His mother and physical family. He cautioned us against making anyone take the place of God in our lives, and the Apostle Paul often reminded the church not to let relationships distract from spiritual work.
Bible Verses About Family for Church Sermons
The books of Psalms and Proverbs contain numerous verses about families and children, showcasing the importance of child training. King David and King Solomon also emphasized the significance of godly parenting through their teachings, as seen in many beautiful passages.
To expound on the topic of family during sermons, pastors can choose from a plethora of Bible verses. Ten of the most beloved verses about family are provided here, and pastors can use them to bring in even the youngest members of their congregation and help them understand how much God loves families.
Bible Verses About Family and Children
- Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
This highlights the critical importance of beginning children’s upbringing on the right foot. It’s not sufficient for parents to rely on the church, school, or the internet to lead their children. Rather, it’s every parent’s responsibility and duty to undertake this task.
- And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7
This verse illustrates the importance of incorporating God’s Word into our daily lives beyond just attending Sunday service. Parents who aim to impart godly principles to their children should make it a way of life and lead by example.
- Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Ephesians 6:1-3
While children are minors, obeying their parents is not a choice but a responsibility. The current world sometimes encourages rebellious independence. As parents, it is important to be mindful of how we raise our children, and youth fellowships and church activities can be excellent sources of support.
Verses That Show Love Matters
- But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. Psalm 103:17-18
Isn’t parenting all about forgiveness and mercy? No family or parent is perfect, and mistakes happen. Therefore, it is essential to let the Lord’s mercy be the ultimate guiding principle in making everyday decisions.
- Thy wife [shall be] as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Psalms 128:3
This promise is for those who follow God’s truth and love. They will be like a fruitful vine and olive plants, which represent abundance, fertility, and prosperity. While raising a family requires financial stability, even those with little material wealth will have fruitful homes if they follow God’s word and wisdom.
Your Home, Your Family
- Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalm 133:1
A family that is divided will not be able to endure. The church can serve as a source of support and inspiration for families who are facing challenges, offering them the guidance and spiritual resources they need to resolve their issues through prayer.
- Children’s children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers. Proverbs 17:6
This beautiful passage highlights that it’s not just grandparents who can take pride in their grandchildren. When the elders of a family have raised their children well, it’s the younger generations who are the real treasure.
- Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. –Matthew 19:19
Throughout his ministry, people sought Jesus for advice, even the Pharisees who attempted to trip him up with tricky questions. However, Jesus would respond with wisdom and love, putting them in their place. In one particular instance, he was counseling a young man who sought guidance on how to live a righteous life.
Bible Verses About Family Holding Strong
- Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10
This is one of Paul’s letters to the church, where he addresses the disputes that often arise in his absence. He uses the analogy of family unity to guide their behavior and lifestyle.
- For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God? 1 Timothy 3:5
This passage is helpful for church leaders seeking to take on management responsibilities within the church. It can also serve as a guide for pastors in choosing who to entrust with leadership roles. By observing how potential leaders interact with their families, spouses, and children, pastors can gain insight into how they may lead others in the congregation.
Bible Verses About Family Only Do So Much
The saying “charity begins at home” still holds true. This is especially accurate in today’s world where families are more interconnected — but also often disconnected — than ever before. Your church can be a place where families find refuge and fellowship. In many cases, that’s exactly what people are seeking out.
If you’re looking for more ideas, insights, and inspirations for your church services, stay connected with our blog. We also provide coaching and digital tools to help you grow your church in all aspects — physical, spiritual, and technical. Schedule a Discovery Call with us today to discover more.