Modern Discipleship: Following Christ in the 21st Century – Week 4 Personal Calling – Discovering Your Role in God’s Plan
Main Biblical Text: Ephesians 2:10 “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”
- Every believer has been uniquely equipped and called to play a role in fulfilling God’s eternal plan.
- Discerning and embracing our personal calling is essential for effective discipleship and for making a real impact on the world for Christ.
- This message will focus on understanding the concept of a personal calling and exploring ways we can actively seek and step into the roles God has designed for us.
Read Sermon Text “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” — Ephesians 2:10
Point I: Understanding Our Unique Design for God’s Work Lead in: Appreciating our individuality is key to realizing that our unique contributions are part of God’s grand design. Biblical Quote: 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 “There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.” Illustration: Imagine a mosaic, where each piece, distinct in color and shape, contributes to the full beauty and purpose of the artwork.
- God has endowed each person with specific gifts, talents, and passions that are meant to be used for His glory and the common good.
- Understanding that we are uniquely crafted by God helps us recognize the significance of our individual roles within the body of Christ.
- By embracing our God-given attributes and capabilities, we can pursue the distinct path of service that aligns with His sovereign plan, enriching both our lives and those around us.
Point II: The Process of Discerning Personal Calling Lead in: Discerning one’s personal calling is a journey that involves prayer, self-reflection, and active engagement with the faith community. Biblical Quote: Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” Illustration: Envision a pilgrim journeying through various landscapes, each step marked by discovery and spiritual growth, as they seek the destination God has for them.
- The pursuit of our personal calling often requires us to step out in faith, trusting that God will reveal the way and provide the necessary opportunities for us to serve.
- Seeking wise counsel, experimenting with different ministries, and remaining open to God’s leading are integral to this process.
- As we discern our calling, we forge a closer relationship with God, learning to rely on His guidance more than on our limited perspectives.
Point III: Responding to God’s Call with Commitment and Courage Lead in: Once our calling is revealed, it requires a response of obedience, often necessitating commitment and courage to fulfill our God-given potential. Biblical Quote: Isaiah 6:8 “And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ Then I said, ‘Here am I! Send me.'” Illustration: Think of the biblical figures who, despite their initial hesitations and inadequacies, stepped forward when called by God and did great things through His strength.
- Answering God’s call may sometimes mean stepping beyond our comfort zones and embracing challenges that test our faith and resolve.
- Commitment to our calling might come at a cost, but it’s accompanied by a profound sense of purpose and fulfillment that can’t be found elsewhere.
- Embodying both the courage to accept God’s call and the faithfulness to see it through, we become vital instruments in His plan, impacting lives and leaving a mark that echoes into eternity.
- Today’s examination of personal calling has encouraged us to delve deep into the discovery of our unique purpose in God’s narrative.
- Identifying and undertaking individual callings fortifies the Church’s mission and allows us to experience a richer, more meaningful walk with Christ.
- As modern disciples, let us respond with a resolute ‘Here am I, send me,’ embracing the call to serve in the particular and impactful ways God has prepared for each of us.